Friday, October 9, 2009

NICK & NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST

I wonder where Michael Cera will be in ten or fifteen years. He seems to be a skilled actor, but is constantly type cast in the same role: confused teenager in chase of The Girl, who ultimately winds up being mutually attracted to Cera because of his innocent nerdiness. In this case The Girl is played by some young actress named Kat Dennings. She’s got something. If I were single and 18, 19, 20 or even 35, I would probably chase after her myself.

But alas, time has passed me by and I just don’t understand the world that these kids live in. Sex is casual and only slightly more difficult to obtain than cigarettes. They go to New York City on the weekend, hopping from bar to bar while trying to find a band called Where’s Fluffy. And none of these high school kids ever gets carded. Compare to the suburb where I live, Elk Grove Village, Illinois where everybody gets carded. And by everybody, I mean everybody. A man in his 70’s once confronted me in the parking lot of Jewel Food Store and asked me to buy him some beer because he didn’t have his ID.

Anyway, this film started out okay, but began to lose me with a pretty disgusting scene in which a drunken young woman reaches into an unflushed toilet to retrieve her ringing cell phone and her bubble gum. No way that's funny. And so I decided that life in Elk Grove Village isn’t so bad so long as I have an ID.

2 stars out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment