Sunday, January 17, 2010

HAIR

A razor has never come upon my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my mother's womb. If my head is shaved, then my strength will leave me, and I shall become weak and be like any other man.

From the Holy Bible
Judges 16:17

The Mesquite Independent School District would have us believe it runs a tight ship. Here is its dress code: http://www.mesquiteisd.org/students/policies/standarddresspolicy.asp

While girls can apparently grow their hair as long as they like, there are special rules for boys: Hair is to be out of the eyes, not extend below the bottom of the earlobes and cut so that it does not extend over the collar (dress shirt).

As it turns out, the “hair” rule is being defied by four year-old Taylor Pugh. The school has responded by imposing a curious form of suspension: Taylor comes to school but is isolated from his classmates. A David v. Goliath battle looms. Make no mistake about it folks: this is about power. As the stakes rise, who will be the first to fold and throw in the cards? I’m predicting the school district.

Indeed, the school district has already offered a compromise. It will allow Taylor to rejoin his classmates if he wears his hair in tight braids. Anybody can read the subtext: the school district is looking for a way to save face.

Ah, the forces of government. Entrusted by voters to preserve our freedoms, too often our elected officials seek instead to take them away. Indeed, I am sometimes astounded over the actions of people once they are vested with even a minimal amount of power over their fellow man. For example, I have seen school board members try to use their personal religious beliefs to clean out school libraries of books they deem to be offensive. Because freedom is so precious, I think it is best that we fight these battles with a full-court press.

Besides, it seems to me that the "hair" war has already been fought. All we have to do is look to the past, the late 1960’s and most of the 1970’s. Both boys and men wore their hair long. Yes, there were attempts to stop it, but in the end, the hair won.

Hang in there little Taylor. You will win too.

No comments:

Post a Comment