Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Super Lawyers

I just received a copy of a professional magazine entitled Super Lawyers. I looked to see if my name and picture were inside. They weren't. But that’s okay. Like Mark Twain, I wouldn’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Still the truth must be told. Some of the lawyers enshrined in this magazine are very good. Some.

But what I really wonder about is who makes the inclusion / exclusion decision? And if one is admitted into this elite club of Super Lawyers, who gets his or her picture displayed on the front cover? Or on the inside cover? Or how about the back of the magazine? Maybe coins are flipped. But for some reason I don’t think that’s the way it works.

As for me, I don’t ever want to be a Super Lawyer. I think it is better to lie in the weeds, to feign incompetence and be underestimated. I want to blend in with the background, like a chameleon. Sun Tzu would agree.

I also wonder what’s next on the horizon. Maybe “Super Duper Lawyers.” Presumably the Super Duper Lawyer magazine will have fewer pages than this one.

Finally, there is almost something silly about being called a Super Lawyer. The term sounds like it belongs in a comic book. Perhaps we should expect our Super Lawyers to have secret identities. But that would defeat the purpose of being a Super Lawyer, wouldn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment